As a volunteer, you will be teaching English to children and unemployed in public Schools of Diriamba, a small town south east from Managua. Classes are given four days a week during 4 to 5 hours a day. English speaking is a huge advantage in Nicaragua, where tourism is growing fastly (see Why English?). There are no fees, you only pay for your accommodation and food, and this money goes entirely to your host family.
Volunteers stay with host families. You will get three meals per day, room and shower. Your host family will give you a warm welcome and you will have a wonderful stay during your time with them. Staying with a family allows you to get a truly local experience on the culture and traditions of the country.
The usual accommodation costs are 150 USD/month. We can arrange someone to pick you up at the airport for an additional 30 USD.
- Good level of English is not an essential requirement (as most English teaching is given to beginners).
- You need a medium level of Spanish. Alternatively, you can enrol into one of our offered Spanish lessons while you are in the project.
- When choosing the period to come, please take into account that holidays in Central America go from mid-December to early February.
- There is a minimum period of three weeks to volunteer with us. In any case, we give priority to longer stays.
- Volunteers must get their own travel insurance or engage with one of our preferential insurance providers.
What we offer
We offer recommendation letters, certificates of your volunteer stay or Linkedin recommendations for all those who work with us. If you are staying for a long period (eg three months or more), we will be happy to contact your university and arrange this work to be considered as an internship for your studies. Don´t hesitate to contact us if you need something else.
Check our project memorandum to know more about our project, including info about the locations, English methods, accommodation costs and other useful information!!
To apply, please complete this form.